Paradox Announce Cities: Skylines
At Gamescom Paradox held their special press conference which highlighted some of the upcoming titles from their own studio and third party developers. The biggest surprise from the event was the reveal of Cities: Skylines from the developer behind the Cities in Motion series.
Although there was little to show of actual gameplay apart from a teaser video, the official site quickly went live with a features list.
- City policies: Set policies to guide how the city and districts develop over the course of your playthrough.
- City districts: Personalize city districts with names of your choice for variety and personality.
- Road building and zoning
- Unlock buildings and services
- Taxation: Fine-tuning the city budget and services and setting tax rates to different residential, commercial and industrial levels and controlling what kind of areas are more likely to spawn in the zoned areas
- Public transportation: Build transport networks throughout the city with buses and metros
- Outside connections: Make industry and commercial districts flourish with new customers in the neighboring cities
- Wonders: the ultimate end-game content that the players strive towards
- Huge maps: Unlock new map tiles with unique possibilities to expand the city
- Water flow simulation: Add new challenges to water services.
- Polished visual style and core gameplay
- Modding tools: Built in feature designed to encourage creative pursuits.
This list sums up pretty much what we know so far apart from the fact that the maps sizes are going to be huge at around 36km squared.
The whole demonstrations was without a doubt taking a sly pop at SimCity and all its shortcomings 🙂